Tuesday, November 11, 2014

We Are Off

We Are Off
Getting Set
We pack using experience and gear we have. We hit the thrift store for some clothes. In a direct violation of Thoreau’s advice. It almost seems too easy. That internet and ATMs have made planning a simple affair.

The hard part is getting the farm ready. We must set all the animals up. We put everything away and close up the house. The last thing is to take the dogs to Jenny’s (Our Awesome Vet).

We spend the last night at home in restless sleep. The alarm goes off at 6:00. We shower grab a cup and hit the road. It is a bit of a drive to the KC airport so we want to leave by 7:00.

We are held up by our great friend Merlin. He stops by to send us off. Merlin is a very welcome delay and a good omen for our journey.

                                       

Merlin O’Dell Stops by to Say Good Bye
Check in goes smooth and now we wait in the worst airport in the world. A place with nothing to see and nothing to eat. Our flight to Newark goes off without a hitch and we meet up with Bob. We are all high and excited. We get a light linner.

I notice right away that things with Bob just click. He is relaxed, funny and overly generous. He proves to be very easy going and a great partner. In retrospect he is one of the best traveling partners I have ever had.

Bye, Bye America

We are flying on Thanksgiving Day. We step onto an almost empty plane for our flight to Milan. The flight attendants are Italian, friendly and gorgeous. The male attendant is so handsome Barbara cannot even look at him. Like kings we take a whole row of empty seats for each of us.

My friends sleep but I am too excited. I go over the information I have on Milan and the map to the hotel in Venice.

I watch the monitor and marvel at the ease of travel by plane. Just a few decades ago this would have taken more courage and time. I turn on a movie and then finally drift off.

A few hours later the lights blink back to life and we get set to land. I reset my watch in Kansas City so it kind of all seems normal. The sky is cloud covered so we cannot see much till we break through just a few hundred meters from the ground.


We Are Here

A Missing Bag
The airport is mid 70’s clean but a little dated. Customs is a breeze not even a line. I hit an ATM in the baggage claim and then get my bag. Bob grabs his and heads outside to smoke. Barbara on the other hand does not find her bag. We wait till the turnstile stops and then try to decide what to do.



Barbara Returns Bagless (sorry for the camera shake!)

I wait at the turnstile while Barbara goes to the desk to see what can be done. It turns out that there is nothing to be done. I wait for two more planes to unload. Maybe it will turn up. It did not. So, we decide to press on.

We find Bob outside. He was unable to reenter so was in the dark waiting and wondering what is going on. We explain and then catch the bus for the train station. The information that I had about the bus was right on.

The Milan Train Station

Outside The Milan Train Station

To our inexperienced eyes the train station looks like total chaos. It is snowing and there is construction at the entrance. There are people of all stripes going here and there. North Africans hocking umbrellas, students, office workers, laborers and we seem to be the only ones that do not know where to go. Quite a jolt when you are from Kansas.

We find a quiet corner to park Barbara, Bob and the gear. Trundling down the stairs I find the automatic ticket machines. Buying tickets turns out to be easy peasey. In a few minutes I have 3 second class to Venice. Triumphant I return to the gang.

This first important step covered we turn to food. Bob and Barbara are hungry but I feel too excited to think about food. I cover the bags while they are off to find food.

My Personal Love Affair with Italy Begins at This Very Point

It is at this very point that I begin to relax and fall in love with Italy. I know that is what everybody since Byron has said but in my case, this is the instant that it happens. It was all because I read too many guide book warnings about the Milan train station.

As I sit with the bags I start watching people pass by. After a couple of minutes imagining gangs descending on me and running amok with our gear. I am charmed by a small older lady. She has bags of groceries and is laboring across the station. She makes eye contact with me and says "Boun Gorno" and smiles. She is clearly not worried and neither should I be. I feel the tension melt away and begin to take it all in.

Once I look up, I realize what a grand building we have entered. Built by the Fascists of the pre war years it is quite a marvel. It seems in great repair considering the age and the amount of use it was getting. The head of the station is stone with grand patriotic art. There a many small details and the quality of the work is high.

A Detail from the Stair Rail in the Milan Station

The train platforms are under a marvelous arched steel and glass train shed. Best of all is the large arrival and departure board. Clackity clackity it flips up times and exotic destinations very inspiring. I want to go to them all.

The Diblasis return breathless and with panni in hand. Excitedly they explain that Italians do not stand in line but mob to the front and just make it happen. It took them quite a while till they figured it out. Bob is somewhat alarmed by this chaotic approach to customer service.

After eating I wander outside and get a few photos and then it is time to find our train.


Our First Train Ride In Europe

We find the platform and validate our tickets. Thank god I had read how to tell which car and seat were on our tickets because it made this little step go smooth. We stow our gear and get seated. A few minutes later we begin to pull out.

It was interesting to pass through Milan and see how it had rebuilt after the war. I know we bombed the crap out of it. Bob is out with his I pod in almost immediately.

Bob on His First train In Europe

I am a little punchy from no sleep but very excited. Barbara is tired and cold as she has no extra clothes due to the lost bag. She snuggles under my jacket and drifts off on my shoulder.  I watch the Italian countryside. Bliss…

She wakes as we pass Verona. We chat about how easy Bob is to have around and how this looks like it will work out well. We both have a chuckle as we arrive in Padua because we have been pronouncing it wrong. We say paduooa and the Italian announcer says paudwa.

Not Knowing What is Ahead

We roll toward the coast in the fading light. I see my first Italian standing oarsman as we roll out onto the causeway to Venice.
I can see the islands and buildings of Venice as a light rain starts. I wish for this time back now.  I had no idea how much I would enjoy the next few days. If I had known I would have paid more attention.


No comments:

Post a Comment