Monday, November 10, 2014

Our First Time Out



First Time Out


My First Photograph of a European Street

A Short Grand Tour with Barbara and Bob


The Plan

Waking Up

You wake up one day and realize time is getting thin. If we really want some things it is now or never. Sometime in winter of 2006, this happened to me. Was it the creaking in my bones? The lack of travel adventure in the last 10 years? A big time had become a trip of 25 miles to the hardware store and coffee.

Not to bitch too much. I love my life. I work outside in nature every day (a life goal). I love AND like my wife. We have built a good life together on our small farm. It is a great place to land. I love the silence and the wild. Still, I wish to have a full life experience and this requires visits to unfamiliar places.

We have lived (for Americans) low on the scale. We have no children as the world has all the humans it needs, air conditioning, microwave and T.V. We grow 70% of what we eat and have built our own house. Neither Barb nor I have an inheritance. We prosper by the sweat on our bent backs and a few wits. We have saved a bit and wish to use it.

My Grandma always wanted to travel. She was a young adult during the Great Depression of the 1930’s and was so traumatized by the experience that she could not bring herself to spend any money on a luxury like travel. She had a stereographic viewer in her living room with cards from all over the world and she would sit of an evening and look at them. She died with a fairly large sum of money in the bank.

This was a real lesson for me. As the light fades from my eyes I wish to remember Barbara happy in Venice not my full bank account

It is time to tick a few of the big items off the list. At last, time once again for the open road.

Meeting of the Minds

I let Barbara know about how I feel over coffee and as it happens she is on the same page. Where to go first?

I love history and art. Barbara has family from Italy. So Italy very quickly becomes the winning destination.

We decide on the simple but “Grand Tour”.  Rome, Florence and Venice with a side trip to the Cinqua Terre. We decide to save southern Italy for another time.

We decide on the late fall of 2008. This will be after the Farmers’ Market ends. This makes leaving the farm less complicated. It will also put us in the “off  season”. Hopefully this will help to control cost a bit and we like cool weather.

Barbara puts in for time off and I put together a plan for the farm.

A New Partner

Barbara comes down to breakfast one summer morning and says we need to talk. Of course I quickly roll over the list of recent mistakes I have made and wonder how I can talk my way out of trouble.

She opens with a boom and says. “My brother Bob wants to go to Italy with us.” I breathe a sigh of relief and gulp at the same time.

Bob would not be my first choice of a travel companion. He seemed to be the least social of all of Barbara’s brothers. Barbara and Bob seemed to be the least compatible.

I also am not the easiest person to be around for Barbara’s family. This seems to be particularly true for Bob. I am not sure it is good for Bob.

I look up from my oatmeal and say “He is your brother. If he wants to go and you want him to go then of course he can go with us.” Much later Barbara confesses that she hoped I would say no.

As with most fears we were over reacting.

So then there were three.

Robert in Venice One Great Travel Companion

Putting It Together


Our main travel experience is trips in North America so the learning curve is steep.

The main lesson learned in hindsight is do not sweat it and be unafraid. It all works out. By embracing the simple is better approach. We book flights and only our first hotel and we will work the rest out in country.

Bob was married to a “planner nazi” and he freaked out. We send him a list of stuff to bring and he wants to take way too much. We want to be light and flexible. Barbara talks him down from the big huge bag. She explains that there will be no porter and we will be on the move a fair amount. He gets it sorted after wearing his pack around for an hour.

We Commit

We book the flights and taking a mental step into the “no going back club”. I love this part of any trip because you leave all the reservations about go or no go behind at this point.

Barbara Books the Flights with Bob



No comments:

Post a Comment