Thursday, November 13, 2014


Serenity at the Edge of the Adriatic


The First Breath of Magic Venetian Air


As the train coasts to a stop, we pick up our kit and make our way onto the platform. The air is cool and we can sense the rain outside the platform. Looking forward and navigating the bobbing heads. We walk across the station lobby and step through the door.

It was as if we had stepped into a parallel world. The Grand Canal is laid out before you. Boats of many types are running to and fro. There are people from all over the globe. The buildings and the marble bridge in view seem as if they are from a fairy tale. I had the good sense to take a minute and enjoy the scene.


It is hard to describe the effect of all this. It was as impressive for me as the first morning waking up in the high desert of the American west. What word? Marvelous, fantastic, transformative… You cannot choose they all apply.

Maps & Pressure
After the wonder subsides a bit I realize that Bob and Barbara are looking at me and expecting me to know where to go. I thank my lucky stars that I spent some time going over the location of the Albergo Marin on the train. I had read that finding your way in Venice can be a bit of challenge. My years of map reading once again serve me well. We cross the bridge into Santa Croce and I am able to locate the right alley. With little fanfare I find us standing in front of the hotel. I think I was more surprised that they were.

A Perfect Reception
It was late and I am a bit worried. The hotel may not have held our rooms. This happened to me once and I am always a bit uncomfortable when I arrive late. We step into the reception room and shake off the rain. Before I can speak Giacomo says in a very friendly tone “Mr, Gregg we have been expecting you. Your rooms are ready”. I take one more step into a love affair with Italy. Our rooms are not only nice but exceed our expectations. We take a short break, refit our clothes and head down to look for food.

Our First Walk in Venice
The Walk To Dinner On Our First Night in Europe
We ask Giacomo for a recommendation and set off. The light rain has turned into a pretty steady cold rain. Barb feels better as she is wearing my long johns under her dress. We become hopelessly lost but do not even care. This city is so unlike anywhere we have ever seen we just bounce from place to place like pin balls. We find a pharmacy so Bob can get some water for his cpap machine. We are now very hungry and need to find a place. This is always the test for a group traveling together. We come through without a hitch.

We end up just picking a place. It was perfect. The ceiling is low and the room is warm and cozy. The staff is very kind and patient. The wine, pasta and salad really hit the spot. We have a very fun and relaxed time. We are a little bit tipsy from the wine and no sleep.
A Window on the Way to Dinner Our First Night in Venice



 So we wander back to the hotel. The rain has stopped and we are all in very good spirits. It has been the end to a very wonderful day.

We climb the stairs and fall into our bed. We go right out.

Up Early and Out
Photos From My First Morning Walk

I wake up as the light starts to grow. I dress quietly and slip outside. The soft morning settles over me.

Oh, what a joy, the sound of a city without the roar of automobiles. This sound is like no other city. It is a combination, chatting of people on their way to work, the echoes on the walls, the scuff of shoes on the pave stone. I just love it. Streets built for humans not  automobiles.

I get a few pictures and a very nice wander. I then head back to the hotel for breakfast.
The Breakfast Room At The Marin
Barbara's First Breakfast in Italy

Barbara and Bob are not up yet so I step into the breakfast room and find a table. A very pleasant woman arrives and offers me a cappuccino.  Moments later she returns with one of the best cups of coffee I have ever had. As I enjoy this lovely treat I look over the list of things we want to do.

Barbara arrives and looks wonderful and happy. We talk over the lost bag and decide to try to deal with that first. Then we will wander around a bit

Bob comes down and is in the same frame of mind. We eat and head out to our rooms to get ready for the day. This is easy for Barbara because she no clothes to change into.

Another Fantastic Italian

We try to call the airline about Barbara’s bag on a phone in the lobby. The young woman that provided us with the awesome coffee was now working the desk. She listens to Barbara try to communicate for a few minutes. She then comes from behind the desk and takes the phone right out of Barbara’s hand and starts talking. She then turns to Barbara and says “I will do for you”. Barbara tries to object but Allesandra raises her hand and starts talking again. After a few minutes she says” Your bag will be on the bed in your room this afternoon”. I feel Barbara almost melt with relief.

Fortified with a shared wardrobe and cappuccino we set off for a transformative day.

It Is Not Like Any Other Place, Really!











A Few Views From That First Morning Walk


Our first impressions of Venice are now overwhelmed with the unique qualities that make this a great place. There is no drone of traffic or scooters. Everything is on the human scale. It feels as if you are being held in a warm hand. The Venetians embrace of an architecture that is unique and not enslaved to the “modern” view that new is better, is impressive. This bodes well for an amazing day. Every turn opens a new mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment